'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Friday 28 August 2015

Being Crafty

First find an old pullover. If it's wool you could give it a hot detergent wash and felt it. 
Cut off the sleeves or make a sausage from another part. I used an overlock type of stitch on my sewing machine. Zigzag plus straight stitching should hold it, but has a tendancy to stretch the seam. Give it a slightly smaller end. This will be the head. Don't forget to leave an opening to stuff. If you are clever you could unravel some wool and use it to invisibly sew up the hole, through the loops of the knitting.
You'll now need some felt*, a darning needle and assorted embroidery silks.
The design is up to you. It doesn't have to be symmetrical.  
I used the pullover's cuff for one of the beanies and hand-knitted the other with No. 2.5 needles and a scrap of very fine wool I had left over. 

* you could use regular fabrics and hem them all around. It would make a completely washable doll, but is more work than felt.








4 comments:

  1. Very clever. Your own little Snugglepot and Cuddlepie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, I love them. I think I will make a nautical version for my boat and use it as a mascot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive but I shall not be following your guidance as my needlework is far too primitive. I am like a caveman joining animal skins with catgut but you are as skilful as a Victorian seamstress!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.