'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday 15 July 2015

Paddington


thetimes.co.uk

When I was just two, Michael Bond published the first of his delightful 'Paddington' books, so it wasn't surprising that they were part of my growing up years.
Sweet-natured and polite, but rather clumsy and with a marmalade habit (which I approved of, much preferring it to honey - the addiction of another of my childhood bears Pooh), Paddington Bear was, to me anyway, the stereotype of restrained British sensitivity, understated humour, and kindness, which I also met in Paul Gallico, Millie-Mollie-Mandy, The Famous Five, and Rupert (who of course, although looking like a bear, was really far more boy-like).

I think they've done a really rather topping job of the Paddington movie that came out last year 2014, but that I've only just seen.

I especially loved the cameo appearance of Michael Bond himself, tipping his glass to Paddington through a restaurant window.  If you see the movie (and I recommend you do, no matter how old you are), see if you can spot him.



8 comments:

  1. He looks such a nice old gent' too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even better shared with someone else, Terra!

      Delete
  3. I loved the movie. How lovely they gave the author a cameo.... I missed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a person of similar tastes Fi. I only picked it up in the credits, so had to rewind to see who they were referring to.

      Delete
  4. Marmalade or Manuka Honey? I think I will have to toss a coin - nah, Marmalade on one, Manuka honey on the other piece of toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Alden! The answer to any dilemna! 'Both'.

      Delete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.