'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Friday 28 December 2012

Christmas at Ohaupo

We had a lovely Christmas and Boxing Day.  All headed over to Ohaupo (Oh-how-por) - a small, delightful village near Cambridge, where my elder son and his partner have recently bought their cottage.

It was hot and sultry, with cold drinks in buckets of melting ice, lovely salads, chicken and ham, relaxation and conversation and presents...  The fans and the louvre blinds kept the inside of the house cooler, but even the axolotls looked a bit warm, albeit in a cute way.  Later when the thick clouds came over it was very pleasant on the verandah so we all sat out there and gazed over the farmland scenery and the trees from the back of the house.  A very tranquil Christmas!

No, we didn't put the fan IN the axolotyl tank.  It's just a reflection.



9 comments:

  1. No need to remind us of your southern hemisphere warmth! That's just cruel! I trust you visited the world famous Clockworld Cafe whilst in Ohaupo! (Three exclamation marks!- err, no four)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - I never thought I'd hear myself ever utter the worlds "Axolotls are so cute"

    YP - Be careful with those exclamation points... you know what they say, don't you?
    No, we didn't go into clock world. It had stopped for Christmas. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a bit lke ours though I didn't think it ever got really hot in NZ!! Glad we didn't have any fishtanks here. I might have been tempted to paddle !!... and no, the aircon is still on the blink. Hard to get them fixed at this time of year and they've tried 3 times !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think we get consistently hot weather like you do Helsie. But Cyclone Evan coincided with Christmas and made it very steamy here, and we were mid thirties. Poor you - still no aircon! I've been looking at your weather - Wednesday (2nd) looks like it will be up to 35º.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never heard of Axolotl so that's just kept me occupied for a while. I see they get stressed above 18℃ and chlorine in tapwater is poisonous to them. Amazing the things one learns before breakfast. The Axolotls in the picture look more puzzled than stressed to me but then perhaps I am using human values to interpret their looks. Which is not unusual given that I've been led to believe I am of the human race. Not, I sometimes think, always something of which to be proud. What a load of tosh you find people writing on your blogs. I must stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From my perspective, anthropomorphisising is often a problem with humans. You might say we are sad, objects of pity, forever trapped in our immature form, with sensitive skins, and probably long for the only place on Earth where we have ever lived: Xochimilco Lake.
    In reality we are ditunificable and reguplurite, and frequently feel yumptoirishly phrebable. You see the problem?
    - An Axolotl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes thing that I bite off far more than I can chew!

      Delete
    2. or sometimes think even.

      Delete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.