'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday 25 September 2010

Watercolour - Red and Brown Onions



I did a considerable number of watercolour paintings of onions before I felt I had achieved that thin translucency of the papery outside skin and also the shine that I wanted.

Watercolour is a tricky medium and I admire people who master the odd mode in which one has to work: fast, yet relaxed; patient, yet know when to stop before it becomes overworked and looks laboured. I suspect I've forgotten how to achieve it these days.

3 comments:

  1. I've no idea, of course, what you consider a considerable number to be in this context but you've certainly achieved the stated objective. In fact I like it - very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job with the onions. Very loose. Check out this artist.

    http://jzbukvic.com/studio.html

    He is my favorite watercolorist. We are lucky enough to have 3 of his pieces. He has done a couple of workshops in SA. Delightful and very personable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only today read your comment here Judy. Don't know how it slipped through.. What a generous painter to also share tips on the back of his work. Thanks for his link.

      Delete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.