'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Tuesday 20 July 2010

Unknown plant



OK, flora sleuths out there. Here's another unknown plant/weed. It was found in a suburban garden in Hawkes Bay, New Zealand. This area experiences frosty days in winter and dry hot summers. Soil is fairly shallow and there is a clay pan near the surface.
This is the information sent with it:
"...grows to about 30cm. in about a month in spring and very quickly puts out conker-like pods that have hundreds of black seeds within. The plant has a very pungent smell.
Found a couple of plants in the garden here at no:60 when we first got here. Carefully lifted them and didn't get any seedlings last year."

So, does anyone recognise this one? You can see a couple of the seeds in the image.

5 comments:

  1. I've really flipped! I went to the bookcase for my NZ plant and tree books - and then, of course, realised that I wasn't in NZ. HELP!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the most interesting plants! That almost looks like a big cocklebur here in the central U.S., but I don't know what it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GB... Sorry, can't help. When we were traveling around on our last holiday, my daughter and I counted up - in something like 72 days, we slept in 52 different beds. I used to have to lie there a few minutes in the dark working out where I was or I'd walk into a wall.

    Beau - NZ is a long thinnish country so we cover quite a few latitiudes. Between 47ºSouth and 34º south, actually. so we have quite a climate range.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be Datura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Butterfly! I do believe you are correct. Thank you very much.

    And I think, "Datura stramonium", commonly known in some other parts of the world as Jimson weed. Very, very toxic.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.