'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 25 July 2010

Centre City Dawn


This morning, as soon as it was light enough to fly (6.50am) a hoard of gulls descended en mass on the waterfront at the park. Perhaps they know it's Sunday and there are always good fast-food pickings from Saturday night car-parkers. Or maybe they do it every morning. Within minutes these scavengers had done their clean-up and were gone. It was like a scene from a Hitchcock movie.

The sun rose at about 20 past seven.



5 comments:

  1. When I was teaching, I noticed that in the winter a flock of seagulls would descend on the school playground at 1.20pm prompt to pick up children's lunch leavings. In the summer the gulls would be replaced by a flock of crows. I discovered that the same gulls and crows visited another secondary school site at 12.45pm each day - it was about half a mile away. They never visited at weekends. Some peo-ple think we know all there is to know about birds but we don't.
    P.S. I'm just about to go to bed on Saturday night! I've got a good book to read called "Keep Sheep and Climb Upon" by a New Zealand writer and former sheep farmer - Bruce Wildwolf. Have you heard of him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely long comment YP. I shouldn't be surprised at the enterprise of the gulls when godwits can fly half way around the world without GPS, and find the same half-melted Alaskan bog they nested in the previous year.

    By a strange coincidence, I have heard of that book. Of course it would not be the sort of book that one would want to review on a nice family blog such as this, would it now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. I hope your pre-sleep reading material gives you the kind of dreams you obviously enjoy. Or should that be 'pre-sheep'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dream about such morning skies returning to my life....anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you get nice sunrises and sunsets on the island GB?

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.