'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Tuesday 9 March 2010

Prize



A large box was just delivered to my door. I was on the phone to a friend and the 'doorbell' barked twice only. The courier man must have run away quickly.
Inside was an art book about and by the New Zealand artist Dick Frizzell, and a letter saying I had won it in a draw with my new subscription to the magazine 'Art News New Zealand'.
What excitement! I've had a quick glance through, and didn't realise the range of work Dick has done. (Note I'm on a first-name basis with him already). I'm going to enjoy this.
On the work on the cover a phrase has caught my eye:
"Live clean and let your works be seen."
Sums it all up really. I may make it my motto. Thanks Dick.

11 comments:

  1. Very nice! I never win a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book and nearly bought it for my artist son for his birthday, but in the end we bought him something else - Your post reminds me that I should get myself a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An eye-catching and deliberately "rough" or amateurish front cover design - reminiscent of aspirational early teenage artists. Perhaps the courier man was Dick himself. You will be grateful that I have avoided the temptation to draw mischievous humour from his first name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sis - I never pay to enter lotteries/ competitions, and over the years I've won a few things here and there. So I know I'm always up.

    Alden - it is probably a good volume for a NZ artist... depending on what his interests are... Wouldn't Alexander like something more expressionist?

    Dumdad - yes, it was! Especially as I was feeling a bit sad as my son had just had an appendectomy down in Dunedin and I was feeling very helpless and far away from him. It perforated too. He's on the mend, 'tho'.

    YP - Are you saying I should be grateful that you did not give way to you own early teen-like tendencies? When in fact by mentioning them you were, in fact, doing just that?
    Now see what you've done. I've confused myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine, he may well like something more abstract expressionist as you suggest, but I think he would like Frizzells humour and quirkiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, that's true. It's a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eh? Promise you'll stick to art and avoid psycho-analysis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate, I wanna have a good look at that one.When you have finished reading it can I take it away to the house in the clouds. LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy, you are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say that I'm not totally in love with his work but I really really admire and love some of his landscapes.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.