'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 18 January 2009

Goodbye Andy


Wind From the Sea

"I get letters from people about my work. The thing that pleases me most is that my work touches their feelings. In fact, they don't talk about the paintings. They end up telling me the story of their life or how their father died."
- Andrew Wyeth

5 comments:

  1. "Wind from the Sea" - very evocative and an appropriate choice for bidding the artist farewell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous19.1.09

    I'd never heard of Andrew Wyeth before a friend told me of his death. I looked him up, and I have to say I love quite a lot of his work. The one you have posted is gorgeous - so perfect as an illustration of a sea breeze.

    RIP, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Christina's world' and 'that gentleman' were 2 of the first prints we ever bought back in the 60s in our student days. I love the story that the old gentleman begged to be buried with his shoes on and due to his great height a coffin had to be made specially for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks YP and Jay. Welcome to a new visitor, Delwyn. I like that A.W said something along the lines of he thought the reason many people find his paintings a little disturbing is because they are not used to being by themselves...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid growing up in CA, my folks had a print from Wyeth of "The Giant"

    I very much enjoyed that print. My sister has it now, someday I must go visit it!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.