'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Monday 2 June 2008

A trip away


We're going to go down to the Deep South.  My middle son starts the next post-grad phase of his university life in a month, and daughter N. and I have decided we'll take him down to Dunedin then.  I haven't been down to the South Island (except for conferences, and they don't count) since I left university in Christchurch myself mumble years ago.  It's all very exciting.  I've been online looking at trains and boats and planes, but this morning at 4 am I sat up in bed and thought "I'll drive down!"
  
It's a long way, and now that petrol is over two dollars a litre, it's not going to be cheap, but the flexibility will be lovely, and if I tow the compactavan, we'll be able to decide at the last minute on overnight stops, save on accommodation and have room to take J's stuff as well as the old Apple Mac down to Ellyn in Oamaru too. 

It's going to be cold too, but we'll bundle up.  We might even make it to the mountains and see some snow.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4.8.08

    Do you have photos you could share of your compactavan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Yes. But I didn't take it away with us this time. I might do a post on it one day. It is quite cute.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.